Among all the reliable methods of weight loss, flaxseeds are one of the most effective foods that help you lose extra kilos. Enriched with fibre, Omega 3 fatty acids and anti-oxidants, flax seeds increase your body’s efficiency to lose weight.
These tiny brown seeds with distinct flavor are obtained from the flax plant, whose fibre is used to produce linen. Here’s how flaxseeds help in weight loss.
Flaxseeds are a great source of dietary fiber. Dietary fiber is classified into two categories- soluble and insoluble. The soluble fiber produces a gel-like substance which when encounters the digestive juices and water, slows down the food absorption in your colon and in turn, makes you feel fuller for a longer time. The insoluble fiber helps in promoting the good gut bacteria which aids digestive health and increases your metabolic rate.
Essential Fatty Acids
The reason they are referred to as essential fatty acids are that they can only be obtained from healthy food sources. Flaxseeds are loaded with two essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6. These essential fatty acids obtained from flaxseeds are converted to phospholipids, an integral part of the cell membrane structure.
Once we ingest them, omega-3 and omega-6-fatty acids get converted to prostaglandin, which balances the metabolism. Prostaglandins derived from omega-3 fatty acids help in reducing inflammation. Inflammation can induce weight gain as it can increase oxidative stress.
Flaxseeds are rich in proteins. So, when you consume a teaspoon of flaxseeds, along with dietary fiber, the protein content suppresses your appetite. This prevents you from overeating, thereby helping you in losing weight.
Flaxseeds are low in starch and sugar, hence they are not high on calories. Eating them regularly is good for your health and helps in losing weight.
Antioxidants, which are also called lignans are abundant in flaxseeds. Though they don’t have a direct link to weight loss, but they enhance the cell functioning as your body burns fat. Lignans also provide nutritional support and protects against free radicals.
This is how you can use flaxseeds to lose weight
Not many of us know that ground flaxseeds or milled flaxseeds are more effective for losing weight. This is because the whole flaxseeds make it difficult for the digestive system to absorb all the nutrients present in them. On the other hand, ground flaxseeds are easily absorbed and there are more chances that you get the essential fats, proteins and dietary fiber present in them.
How much flaxseed is required to lose weight?
As flaxseeds are nutrient-rich, a tablespoon is enough. According to the health experts, one tablespoon of flaxseeds per day helps in losing weight. This also improves your overall health.
How to eat flaxseeds?
- Sprinkle a few flaxseeds seeds over a cold cereal. You can also stir it into hot cereal like oatmeal.
- You can also add 1 tablespoon of flax seeds into your smoothie.
- You can also use flaxseed oil to make an omega-3-packed vinaigrette for any salad.
- Use flaxseeds in the dressing of tuna, chicken or egg salad.
- Garnish soups with a tablespoon of ground flax seed. They will give you a slight nutty flavour and delicious crunch.
- Stir some ground flax seeds into a hearty casserole, chili or stew.
- Add ground flax seeds to the batter of muffins, breads, cookies, and cakes.
A few other benefits of flaxseeds
- They are cholesterol free and hence are good for the heart as well.
- They are a good source of fiber, aid in digestion and prevent constipation.
- Flaxseeds contain some other nutrients as well as protein, magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, omega 3 and lignin.
- Regular consumption of flax seeds is good for your skin.
- Flaxseeds also prevent cancer and facilitate weight-loss.
- The lignans present in them help in combating high levels of estrogen. This also helps in maintaining balanced hormonal levels.
- Flaxseeds also promote healthy hair.
- They are also associated with reducing hypertension.
- They are low in LDL (lipo-protein) or bad cholesterol.