Imagine a hot summer day, with the sun beaming down, and in your hand, you have a bowl of creamy, homemade vanilla ice cream. Can you think of anything better? Neither can we! That’s why we’re sharing our ultimate homemade vanilla ice cream recipe that will have you scooping seconds (and probably thirds). Get ready to be the hit of every summer gathering with this deliciously cool treat!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean
1. Preparing the Mixture: In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream and milk. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape out the seeds, and add both the seeds and the pod to the pan. Heat this mixture over medium heat until it begins to steam, but not boil.
2. Adding the Sugar: Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the sugar until it’s fully dissolved. Then, mix in the vanilla extract.
3. Cooling the Mixture: Let the mixture cool to room temperature. Once cooled, remove the vanilla bean pod. Cover the mixture and refrigerate it for at least two hours, or even better, overnight.
4. Churning the Ice Cream: Pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream maker and churn it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Typically, this process takes about 20-25 minutes.
5. Freezing the Ice Cream: Transfer the churned ice cream, which will have a soft-serve consistency at this point, to a lidded container. Cover it and freeze it for at least 4 hours, or until it’s firm enough to scoop.
6. Serving the Ice Cream: Serve your homemade vanilla ice cream in bowls or cones, or use it as a base for sundaes, affogatos, or any other ice cream-based desserts.
Variations and Tips
Vanilla ice cream is the perfect canvas for mix-ins. Consider adding chocolate chips, crushed cookies, or swirls of caramel or fudge sauce before the final freezing. Or top your ice cream with fresh summer fruits for a refreshing contrast.
Embrace the simple joy of creating your own homemade ice cream. Trust us, once you taste your homemade creation, store-bought ice cream just won’t compare!